Of course, this guide comes with the standard “At Your Own Risk” disclaimers. Be warned, rooting your phone voids the warranty.
They say if you root your phone it is “Modifying” it hence voiding the warranty. Just being able to remove their unneeded Bloatware & Junkware on your phone is apparently bad. In the 21st Century, having knowledge and ability is frowned upon.
So if you want to make the leap into the abyss with me, let us get to business.
Rooting Your PhoneApps you will need to download from the Google Play Store:
- Root Checker – by joeykrim - This application will test the device for root access using a very simple, quick and reliable method to check for root access.
- SuperUser – by ChainsDD - Grant and manage Superuser rights for your phone.
- Busybox – by Stephen (Stericson) - A must have for any rooted phone! Almost EVERY rooted applications needs BusyBox to perform their magic, if you have a rooted phone then you need BusyBox. Do as last step.
You can install SuperUser first and then Root Checker before you begin, but be sure to install Busybox after you have achieved root.
You will need to download update.zip file from [ http://files.rootitall.com/ztev768/update.zip ]. You can also use the QR code below:
Use the Android’s file manager to move update.zip from your download directory to the root of your sdcard.
If you have a Concord that is:
- Android version 2.3.7 BUILD V768V1.0.0B19
- Android version2.3.7 BUILD V768V1.0.0B20
- Power off the phone
- Reboot into recovery mode by first holding down the Volume Down button and then holding down simultaneously the Power button for 30 seconds until the Android with the Triangle & Exclamation appears. The Android with the Triangle & Exclamation will appear AFTER the Green Android that is by himself. If for some reason, you CANNOT boot into recovery, then try a FACTORY RESET (see special notes below) and try again.
- At the screen showing the Android with the Triangle & Exclamation, Press the HOME button.
- Scroll to your second option “Apply update from sdcard”, navigating with the volume buttons and press the Menu key
- Select UPDATE.ZIP to install
- Navigate to YES, if asked, and press the menu key.
- Navigate to – “reboot system now” and select by pressing the menu key.
- Install SuperUser first and then Root Checker if you have not already.
- Install Busybox – Using the SMART INSTALL feature.
Enjoy the fruits of your labor, villain.
- To reach Recovery Mode, make sure you press the volume down button first. While still holding the volume down button press and hold the power button. DO NOT let go of either button until the android with the triangle appears. You will see the Android by himself first, continue holding Both Buttons for about 30 seconds. When the Android with the Triangle & Exclamation appears, you can let go of both buttons. Then press the Home button. This will bring up the Recovery Menu.
- NO factory wipe necessary, unless you are trying to get out of a boot-loop.
- You can also do a Factory Reset from the Settings>Privacy>Factory data reset.
- This method and these files also work for the T-Mobile Samsung Dart.
- JCASE from forum.xda-developers.com created the ZTE Merit update.zip used here.
- FatherToMany from forum.xda-developers.com wrote the ZTE Concord root guide. In case you were wondering, he has seven kids.
To do an Android Factory Reset:
- Power off the phone by removing the battery.
- Replace battery.
- Boot into recovery by first holding down the Volume Down button and then simultaneously pressing and holding the Power button until the Android with the Triangle & Exclamation appears. The Android with the Triangle & Exclamation will appear AFTER holding simultaneously the Volume & Power buttons with the lone green Android on screen for 30 seconds.
- Press the Home button to display the Recovery Menu.
- Navigate to the 3rd choice using the volume Up & Down buttons. Stop on ” wipe data/factory reset”. Select by pressing the menu button
- Navigate to YES and select by pressing the menu button.
- When the wipe is complete, navigate to and select – “reboot system”, again with the menu button.